Thursday, February 28, 2013

“summer”


  • It’s summer here in Peru –we’re on the other side of the world – and while for many parts of the country this means the usual beach-time and mosquitoes, it means RAIN in the sierra. The rain has been pretty intense, but it’s by far my favorite time of year- the mountains turn bright green, I get to go running in the rain, and the sound of the rain on the tin roofs is awesome.

  • Summer in Peru also means summer vacations. Most places in Peru hold summer school, but for some reason my town really dropped the ball this year and decided not to provide anything. Last year I held my own formal “vacaciones utiles” (summer school), but since it ended up proving a lot of work for little reward, I knew I needed to do something different, something that I enjoyed.

    I asked my host sister to choose just four or five of her closest friends and decided to hold summer school with them. Some volunteers organize huge summer school programs for their entire site, and, really, I salute you, but I knew I wanted to work on a really small scale this year. Because of the size of the group we’ve been able to go on field trips, have cooking classes, and create a strong bond between the girls. It’s been perfect.

  
 
  • I needed a break and decided on a whim to go to Lima last weekend. It was great! Really hot, but so nice to be able to walk around in clothing that would be super inappropriate in my site (tank tops in Pariahuanca = no-no). And of course I ate. Lima is the best place to get American/non-Peruvian food and Peace Corps volunteers know how to aprovechar. [For you volunteers: I ate Dunkin Donuts, Burger King, frozen yogurt, ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT SUSHI (!), shwarma, hummus, and labneh, etc.]. And I got to run in Lima – the BEST! Running at sea level has to be one of the greatest feelings in the world. Lima is also an amazing place to run/walk in general – if/when you come to visit you should put it on your list of things to-do!
  •  Keren and I have been running an incredible program called MUNDO which is too hard/boring for me to explain here, just know that it is our most epic and sustainable project here and that we’ve gotten kids to eat falafel, play football, and Irish dance.

  • Old news, but important: Christmas in-site was incredible once again. I spent as much time with my host family as I could. We watched Christmas movies, cuddled, ate lots of paneton and hot chocolate (omgsh I want that right now), and saw the pageant that the youth in my town put on. It was perfect. I do not know how I’m going to be able to leave them…




  • Also old news: NEW YEARS! A bunch of volunteers decided to go down to Arequipa this year. Our friend Richard who lives there warned us that no one would be in the city and that everyone in the city heads to the beach. Luckily, Richard lives in Camana, a beach town on Arequipa’s coast! Can we talk about the most amazing site ever??? Camana is right on the water, has every amazing street food you could ask for, has beautiful plazas and walkways, has a ton of different markets, and is famous for its cremoladas (kind of like an Italian ice). I feel bad a lot of times for people on the coast (its HOT), but I do NOT feel bad for Richard or Kimberly, his site-mate. They struck gold, they won Peace Corps.

  • I owe you guys a video blog – I’ve been prepping one FOREVER… I promise I’ll get at least one out before I leave. Here is my (extremely embarrassing) mid-service video that I made for the office (in Spanish):

                             

  • BIG NEWS! I’ve gotten permission and registered for my second MARATHON!!! I will be running the Lima Marathon on May 19th, 2013. I am seven weeks into training and loving it! It’s been hard without Keren, but a good challenge to see if I can motivate myself.

  • It’s that time of our service where everyone has started planning for their (gasp!) futures. There are still so many things I want to see and do in Peru, and there are also so many reasons I want to get home. And, yup. That’s all I can say about that for now without going totally crazy.



  • I am wearing my Simmon’s field hockey t-shirt that Katie sent me. It has easily become my favorite hanging-out shirt – thank you so much Katie, I love and miss you so much (and wish you luck this season!).


I miss ALL OF YOU SO, SO MUCH! A special shout-out to Kelsey – wishing her good luck and good health with the new addition to the family!!! Love you!


2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are doing well!!!! Keep it up and can't wait to see you in a few short months!!!! Love you AHO

    ReplyDelete