Saturday, October 22, 2011

Getting out of my room

It’s gotten kind of chilly (by chilly I mean its not really that cold at all, the temperature has just lowered a bit below perfect), so it makes it a little harder to get out of bed in the morning. Today I procrastinated a bit getting to the school to make a few announcements and instead worked on my computer all morning.

Around noon I hear my favorite tiny host cousins calling my name “Ayiiii, Ayiiiii” (translation: Ali, Ali). Even though my family saw that I had bought food to make my lunch, I was invited to eat my second lunch at Mamantuca’s (host grandma’s) house. I finally faced the world and followed my host cousins over to where Mari (my host mom) and Mamantuca were eating. After I made some over-exaggerated expressions and miming that my belly was super full after my first lunch, I managed to compromise down to only a mazamorra of quinoa (basically a sweet pudding). So I received my huuuge portion of mazamorra and sat down to chat with my two favorite women and my two favorite tiny children in Pariahuanca. It was lovely.

After mazamorra I finally pushed myself to head out to the school and update the principal (with whom I may or may not have recently argued with) on my plans for the upcoming week. Somehow our quick chat ended with her giving me a hug. That went well…

Afterwards I head over to the health post to update them on upcoming plans as well… the labeling of the newly painted recycling containers at the school, our upcoming trip to go house-to-house in a far-away neighborhood of my town, the continuing endeavor of a community diagnostic, and the planning of a lunch with the health post staff.

Managing to keep the meeting at the health post brief, I headed up to the municipality to put up my poster announcing English classes which start next Tuesday afternoon. On the way up I found myself walking and chatting with students and my favorite Pariahuanca family (other than my own, of course).




After putting up my poster, a friend from the municipality invited me to her house to eat an ice cream (her family owns our town ice-cream parlor). I couldn’t refuse. We chatted for a while about metal (the music genre - she’s obsessed) and vegetarianism. As I headed out she “regalar”-ed me (gifted me) a bunch of asparagus (which is quite pricey here). Yay, I’m making friends.

As I walked back home, smiling, I greeted all of my neighbors and was reminded that all I have to do to have a good day is just to get out of my room.






Fun side story as told to me by my amazing host mother Mari:

Here in Ancash snakes have a lot of mystical and medicinal powers. My favorite of which is when they are put into bottles with rubbing alcohol; the resulting mixture is then used on wounds to accelerate the healing process. Like Campo-Neosporin.

So anyways, there once was a girl who was advised to brush snake venom through her hair to help it grow long and shiny. And it did. In fact, the young girl’s hair grew so long that every night she had to tie it to the bed posts. One night, however, she forgot, and her hair twisted around her neck like a snake and strangled her to death. The end.


MISS YOU GUYS LIKE WOAH!

1 comment:

  1. Update! Update! Update! :) Hope all is well, Al.

    ReplyDelete